Food plots are not going to bring you older bucks. There is a big misconception that for bigger deer you should plant food plots. Food plots do not replace :
forest management, old-field management and population management.
So why food plots ?
Food plots serve as a supplement food source. They increase the food supply during stress periods. They increase nutrition and land carring capacity over time.
Food plots will help you kill more deer.
1. From mid-summer until late Fall, deer go to water two or more times a day and drink two or three litres of water a day. Deer get a lot of the moisture they need by eating plants covered with dew.
2. Acorns are the number one preferred food of whitetails The red oak usually drop some acorns every year. When the acorns are dropping deer will forsake all other foods to stuff themselfs.
3. Apples are also a big favorite food of deer. But their feeding session on them is short, eating only three or four apples before looking for a place to bed.
4. Deer can smell anywhere from a hundred to a thousand times better than man. Research indicates the average deer can smell ( under favorable scenting conditions ) a human, or other predator, from half a mile, and possibly farther.
5. For optimal deer activity during the hunting season, daytime temperature should not exceed 45 degrees F.
6. Deer can see about 310 degrees of a circle. Their eyes are geared to detect the slightest motion. It has been calculated that deer can see at least one thousand times better than humans do in low light.
- Steven Mitchell
QDMA Deer Steward 1